Beli Manastir was officially given the town status on November 29, 1961. In the Middle Ages a monastery (Pel-Monostor) was located here.
The baroque parish church of St. Martin, built in 1777, was restored twice; in 19th and 20th century. The parochial church from 1759 has valuable architectural elements from the 18th century (barrel-shaped wooden vault, iconostasis).
Two prehistoric layers of settlements with sod houses have been excavated. In the restored St. Martin church, there is a new altar painting of St. Martin, work of academic painter Nevenko Letich, and the statue of Our Lady, Help of Christians. Adjacent to the church is the renovated parsonage. Day of the town of Beli Manastir and St. Martin Patron Saint's day are both celebrated on November 11.
Touristically most interesting place in the Beli Manastir area is the Lojmir locality where remains of the "Pel Monostor" are located.
The most visited places are: nearby 228 meters high Bansko Brdo, a popular excursion spot and lookout, and sport and recreation facilities with pools, which are located in the town itself.
Central cultural event in the town is Autumn in Baranja. Baranja fish stew (fish-paprikash) and Baranja wines are part of the traditional gastronomic offer. The Bansko Brdo elevation with its vineyards is the main excursion area in the immediate vicinity of the town.
With addition of school, parish, railroad line and station, roadway and other significant facilities through time, Beli Manastir has outgrown the other Baranja communities both in population and importance, and has become the center of Baranja.
More on Beli Manastir at www.beli-manastir.hr.