The Ceminac municipality is located in the very east of the Republic of Croatia, in central part of Baranja, and villages Ceminac and Kozarac are situated next to the main road, which leads to the border with the Republic of Hungary.
The oldest written document on Ceminac dates from year 1561. The majority of historical traces are found in church manuscripts, which say that the historical parish Ceminac (Laskaffalu) dates from the times of Emperor Joseph, that the Ceminac settlement dates from between 1716 and 1723 at the Count Esterhazy estate, and that its first inhabitants were Germans who have moved from the Schwarzwald area in Germany.
In 1745, a church was built by inhabitants of Ceminac, and in 1906 on the same site a new church, the largest in entire Baranja was built, known as the “Baranja Cathedral”.Cultural happenings (dances, events) used to take place in the castle located next to the Darda - Beli Manastir road. The castle was built at the beginning of the 19th century, and later converted to a brewery, then lease apartments, and it eventually became private property.
Since Ceminac remained almost completely uninhabited in 1945, the authorities of People's Republic of Yugoslavia of the time have decided to populate Ceminac with Croats from Northern Croatia, who have arrived to the “promised land” in trains without timetables in 1946, leaving to the authorities their estates in Croatian Zagorje, which was completely impoverished during the Second World War.
Today's activities of inhabitants of Ceminac are directed to the creation of conditions for economic and tourist development of the municipality.
More on Ceminac at www.ceminac.hr.